Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

You Make My Heart Go Pew, Pew, Pew!

Happy Valentines Day!


I used to live just a couple blocks from 2122 Clark St., the site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. I'm not sure why my mind always goes to that event when Valentines Day rolls around. I'm sure living in the vicinity has something to do with it, since I don't remember having the sort of fascination with it previous to living there. Part of my interest is probably the same that caused such an outcry from the public back in 1929 when it occurred. This wasn't some singular drive-by in the middle of the night in Cicero. This was a brazen execution of seven men in the late morning hours on the North Side of Chicago. Two of the killers were dressed as police officers. I'm not sure how busy Clark Street was at the time, but it certainly is busy now. It's hard to believe that such a crime could be pulled off in such a busy area, showing the power and brazenness of the Mob in Chicago at that time.

I'm not sure how the massacre is related to my lack of sentimentality for Valentines Day. It isn't that I'm not a romantic person; I suppose I just don't like the romance to be foisted upon me. A hint of mystery, a bit of surprise. Not $40 for a dozen roses that would cost $10 any other time of the year. Still, it's nice to have at least the one day set aside for a bit of love and romance. Maybe all Al Capone needed was a
hug.

No comments: